I moved to New York one year and a half ago, from my home country Venezuela. This has been one of the greatest achievements in my life so far. It was so perfect and I feel so blessed that I decided to motivate and help others to reach similar goals.
After writing my post 5 things you should do if you want to move abroad I thought that maybe I could be wrong. Maybe I didn’t know what are the 5 most important things to do before planning to move overseas. Maybe my story was just a stroke of luck. So I decided to make a survey and ask my Facebook friends – full of immigrants – what are the two most important steps they did before moving abroad.
The survey consisted in only 1 question:
Fill the blank:
The two most important steps I did before moving abroad to actually make it were: __________________ and _________________.
Who took part in the survey?
49 male and female friends completed the survey. My friends are between 22 and 55 years old, already living abroad, immigrants living overseas, expats, relocated because of their jobs, studying abroad, mostly from Venezuela (a country with almost 2,500,000 emigrants in the past few years) and Latin America. They are now living in countries such as USA, Spain, Brasil, Chile, Argentina, Australia, Colombia, Canada, London, Italy, and Panama.
See below the Top 20 responses and scroll down to see the 2 most important steps my friends took before moving abroad:
15. Prepare for the worst;
14. Align the emigration plan with individual/family goals;
13. Accept the challenge;
12. Prepare legal requirements;
11. Be conscious of the decision;
10. Learn how to get out of the comfort zone; <- this is a difficult one!
9. Have a positive mind setting; <- this is absolutely a key factor for success!
8. Be open minded
7. Believe and trust
6. Build willpower
Keep scrolling for the Top 5:
5. Overcome the detachment from family
4. Make a plan
3. Take the decision
And, the Top 2:
2. Save money / make a budget
1. Choose the country by researching information such as schools, job opportunities, study opportunities, criminal rate, cost living, and weather.
I compared these results with my post 5 things you should do if you want to move abroad and I have to say I was surprised!
First, nobody took the time to find their WHY or to write down their reason to move abroad. Well, maybe when you live in a country with many political, economic and social issues the WHY is obvious: find better quality life.
Second, the majority of them chose either to take the decision, research, make a budget or write down a plan with deadlines as one of the 2 most important steps they did before moving abroad. So, after all, my post 5 things you should do if you want to move abroad was pretty accurate.
Anyhow, if you are in the process of moving abroad or dreaming about the idea of living overseas, please go ahead and:
- Read my post 5 things you should do if you want to move abroad;
- Download your free moving abroad checklist; and
- Read the post series How to reach your wildest in 6 steps. I promise, if you are planning to move abroad is going to be really wild!
Do you think this list is missing any important step you should do before moving overseas? which step do you think can be most difficult to complete?
Share your comments below or email me your thoughts. I will be more than happy to share my experience 😃 I would love to hear from you on my Facebook Community by clicking here.
To my Facebook friends: thanks for participating on the survey, you are amazing doers 🙂